The glassworks in Pieńsk had been operating since 1858. In 1886, at 44 Dąbrowskiego Street, the CH Schubert & Co. glassworks was established. It was owned by three industrialists: H. Schubert, R. Roder and O. Patzler. In 1903, the C.H. Schubert & Co glassworks merged with the Putzler brothers’ glassworks – one of the largest glassworks in Pieńsk, founded by the brothers Oskar and Edmund Putzler, which in the 1880s was famous for its production of high quality lampshades. In the pre-war period, the Putzler plant employed around 850 people.
The glassworks in Pieńsk, destroyed during the war, were rebuilt and production was restored. In 1947, the Putzler brothers’ glassworks merged with Peill und Sohn to form Peill & Putzler Glashüttenwerke. Production was moved to Germany, while the factory in Pieńsk at 44 Dąbrowskiego Street was taken over by a Polish investor and changed its name to the “Lucyna” Glassworks.
In the 1990s, the glassmaking industry collapsed. In 2007, the “Lucyna” Glassworks went bankrupt, and its neo-Gothic buildings, built in 1900–1925, were taken over by the Pieńsk municipality in 2011.
In May 2002 the “Lucyna” Glassworks Complex – “Nysa” Plant was entered on the register of historic buildings.
Designers associated with the glassworks: Jerzy Słuczan-Orkusz (1959‒1968), Amanda Różańska, Józef Lorenc (1968‒?)
More photos: Polska.org – Huta „Lucyna”, Podróże.onet.pl – Opuszczona huta szkła w Pieńsku, Jarosław Goszcz – Huta „Lucyna” – Zakład „Nysa”, Mariusz Pozorski – Co pozostało z dawnej Huty Szkła „Lucyna”